fudge

Sunday 13 November 2011

“To The Uneducated An A Is Just Three Sticks.”

Now maybe that's not strictly true but I can see where A A Milne was coming from.

To you and I and those who love to read, who love to write, the collection of sticks that make up the written word is one of the most precious commodities we have.  

 They help us make sense of the world.  They allow us to share our inner most hopes, our fears and dreams.

They give us a voice.

I'm a huge fan of quotations.  Sometimes it seems that everything has already been said before and its just the form that our writing takes that makes it unique to us.


“A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.” 


Winnie the Pooh is a children's story written by Milne for and about his son Christopher Robin with characters inspired by his collection of stuffed animals.

But looking a little closer into some of his writing you can find a much deeper meaning in his words, so much that applies to us all.

He talks about friendship:

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?” 

With true friends sometimes only the simplest words are needed.

“I don’t feel very much like Pooh today," said Pooh. 

"There there," said Piglet. "I’ll bring you tea and honey until you do.” 

Friends will always be there to bring you whatever you need.  Sometimes even the things you didn't know you needed.

“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily. 
"So it is." 
"And freezing." 
"Is it?" 
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.” 

Friends will ALWAYS look for the positives when you are feeling down.


He talks about tolerance and respect:


"You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count.” 

How true is that - what you say is so much more important than how you say it sometimes.

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” 

Maybe sometimes we are too quick to jump to conclusions. To judge people.  Maybe sometimes we should just give them a little time to remove that piece of fluff.

He talks about understanding yourself: 

“I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” 

Hmmm, I know THAT one so well ...

“The things that make me different are the things that make me.” 

Well, who wants to be just like everyone else?

Not me!

After all, as the old Indian said "If everyone looked alike then everyone would want my squaw"



“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

We spend so much time rushing around that sometime we forget to just be.  Everybody needs to take time out.  How often do we lose sight of the things that really matter as life gets in the way.

  Life really is too short to not be happy.

He talks about love:

“I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart for so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.” 

The people you love may not always be in your life but they are always in your dreams. 

“How do you spell 'love'?" - Piglet 
"You don't spell it...you feel it." - Pooh” 

Well, what could I possibly add to that? ;)

He talks about understanding yourself:

“Hallo, Rabbit,” he said, “is that you?” 

"Let’s pretend it isn’t,” said Rabbit, “and see what happens.” 

Something I love to do every now and then – who doesn’t imagine how different life could be if only ….

I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. 
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way.” 

Story of my life J

And, my all time favourite Pooh quote:

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.” 


“TTFN Ta Ta For Now!” 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful. This might sound weird but I wrote a suicide note once. I wrote a short message for each person I love and then a group message. My group message told them to love words, to love how they communicate, what they can say and how they can make you feel. I asked them never to take language for granted. Words mean a lot to me. For me, they are my legacy. xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely post; a writer and literary critic too! Your reading into the deeper meaning of those sentences was excellent :)

Sarah said...

It's only when people aren't there any more that we sometimes realise how much has been left unsaid Samantha. I guess our blogs are a kind of legacy. A snapshot in time that might otherwise be lost.

I like to think that if I wasn't around any more then the people I love would still have a part of me right here.

Thank you Adam :) - Although I have a tendency to over analyse I do suspect that there was a lot of deeper meaning in Milnes words.

helloitsgemma said...

I love all this - it's a blue print for life.
glad you are back on the NaBloPoMo band wagon.

Sarah said...

Thanks Gemma, it's good to be back too :)

Nikki - A Mother in France said...

Hi Sarah, I wondered what happened to you, glad to see you back.
Love your AA Milne analysis - a firm favourite in our household

Sarah said...

Thank you Nikki - it's good to be back. A A Milne is great :)

Anonymous said...

Very well put.
I too treasure the written and spoken word. Being able to read and write is something that should never be taken for granted. We writters certainly do not :-)

I loved all the Pooh quotations and had never really considered the meaning of the stories before. I simply read a little bit as I thought they were very cute. But thank you for bringing these to sight for me.

Great writing as always.

Sarah said...

Thank you Meg - they are cute stories, I loved reading them to my children and got as much enjoyment out of them as they did.

Who knows if Milne intended his quotes to have a deeper meaning. I like to think they did and they certainly do for me :)